Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Few Days in a Nutshell

I have been meaning to write all week, but as soon as I find a few moments, the phone rings, or a child cries out, or I simply get side tracked. No other moms out there do that, do they?! Appointments have filled my week, but the best was Thursday seeing the cardiologist. It is good to know I have a strong heart & it is working like it should. Hooray!! Friday we had a friend coming in from Little Rock that we hadn't seen in a while. A single 40 year old who would be a great catch for someone out there!!! (I'm a matchmaker on the side) A few others came over & ate Giordano's pizza we had Fed-exed from Chicago. Some of the best stuffed pizza you will ever put in your mouth.

Earlier Friday the kiddos & I went to Nashville & visited the Hair Prosthesis Institute. I met one of the nicest & informative ladies there. She made me feel at ease & gave me the details about the hair loss that I'm more than likely going to experience. Abby & Austin played with the wigs while I had my consultation. The special thing about this place is that they deal with "virgin" human hair. Hmmm...yes I know a lot of you are probably shaking your heads. Meaning it hasn't been color treated, permed, or burnt up with a Chi flat iron (my daily hair appliance). She told me there was no need to get my hair cut this coming Friday, which was a relief. Usually thick haired women, such as myself, make it through two treatments before it thins out. So I'm looking at 16-21 days before I go G.I. Jane. I will call her when I'm loosing 7-10 hairs at a time. As a crazy, dear friend put it, "you don't want to get to the point you look like you've got the mange!" We both laughed hysterically with that visual of me coming into play. I hope I do not offend anyone with my humor about hair loss. It is so much easier to laugh instead of crying about it. My hair is the longest it's been in several years, & almost all one length.

The children & I went to the Aquarium restaurant at Opry Mills for lunch. I could have sit there all afternoon watching all the different aquatic life...simply mesmerizing. We then took a trip into the mall & I came across Christmas outfits for the kids. So I'll be a step ahead when it comes picture time. We had some great quality time today. Their little giggles & silliness just made the day. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel it is so imperative to let them know what it going on with my health & what the days ahead are going to entail. There are going to be "not so pretty days" I'm sure, but hiding the truth from them just makes them more scared. My children are very intelligent & not much gets past them.

Prior to lunch, we went to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure- Greater Nashville Affiliate in Green Hills. For those of you that don't know, I became involved with them this spring & became their buyer/consultant for items they sell at different functions/fundraisers. I go to Atlanta market (AmericasMart) & buy purses, jewelry, & other neat things. It is a fun gig!! BTW...The Race for the Cure is November 3rd. Festivities start at 6:30 a.m. at Bicentennial Mall. 5K run, 5K walk & 1 mile walk. It makes for great family time. There are many activities for the children. If you are interested you can register online @ www.komen-nashville.org. Please consider taking a Saturday morning out to be part of this worderful foundation. I have met some of the loveliest women & I look forward to being part of this pink sorority for many years to come! Anyway...the new executive director, Cate, at Komen asked me if I would like to go with her & a few other survivors & be honored at the Titans game today (Sunday). We had seats on the sidelines & were on the field during one of the first quarter breaks!! It was a ton of fun. It was great of the NFL to acknowledge breast cancer awareness month.

I am going to the doctor at 10 & will get my first chemo after seeing him. Please remember to lift me up in prayer in the morning. I have no idea how long it will take (at least 3 hours I guessing). I instructed Anth (ha) that he couldn't go back to the office until my port was accessed & the infusion was started. I'm nervous of course, but I know my Lord will be holding one hand while my sweet hubby holds the other.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me Philippians 4:13

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I just say that you ROCK?? I am so very proud of you and the courage with which you are facing tomorrow. You put it so beautifully when you said God will be holding your other hand. I can only imagine the host of angels who will be gathered around you as so many of us have prayed them there! :) You are a beautiful light for Christ and I have never seen Him shine more brightly in you than He does right now. Thank you for allowing us to share this journey with you. I love you and will be on my knees at 10am.

Anonymous said...

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God won't protect you.

God's grace is enough even when we don't understand what he is up to. It is hard to let go and let God do his thing, but that is what he has asked us to do, and so it is what we do.

I praise God for your strength and courage in facing this challenge. I ask that God show you the way and give you the peace to endure this path he has asked you to travel. I pray that the Holy Spirit will rest on Anthony's shoulders. I will never forget the the absolute helplessness I felt when Lisa was ill, and how without trusting God and relying on his love I would not have been able to have make it through.

We will continue to pray for you and your family. May your path be short and your burden light, the strength of the Holy Spirit fill you and the love of Christ sustain you. God's will be done.

In Him, All Things.
.cm

Glo said...

Praying for you today as you begin chemo. May you feel the Lord's embrace as He encompasses you with His love.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard you had some wonderful chicago pizza and great friends and fun on Friday night. I'm sorry we couldn't make it. Ricky and I want to take you guys out one night, your choice. Since Anth came to be with you, I left work and took my lunch around 10:30am. As I left the office, I began praying all the way to the car and half way home. I took in what a beautiful day it was and the calmness in the air. I just know God heard every word and had his arms wrapped around you. P.S. on a lighter note........lucky you cause Pink is a great color on you!

Anonymous said...

I am a friend (from Goodlettsville) of your sweet sister, Marzetta, The courage you have on your journey is remarkable, and the love and support of your family is heartwarming. I admire your strength in sharing this journey from your heart. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Jeanette papnnett@comcast.net