Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Change is Good

I know it has been some time since I've written. Much has taken place & I will try to update you quickly. After coming back from Sloan-Kettering in New York, we decided after much contemplating, that I would go off chemo & try the hormone therapy. This consisted of staying on the Arimidex I had been on for a month & to have a partial hysterectomy. After a week of soreness, I began feeling like myself again. My energy level was up & I could go longer stretches without having to rest. It has truly been a wonderful Christmas present. On the 22nd, I had an appointment with the oncologist. He came in like he had the last couple times. We had noticed that he was different & very matter-a-fact. He asked me how I was feeling & in turn I asked if he had any other patients that had had this done & felt as good as I have been feeling. He then quickly replied that it wasn't indicated & he didn't recommend it. Ok...I felt put in my place. He then said that he felt that we had lost confidence in him & that he felt I should go to Vanderbilt, since I had so many health issues. You could have picked my mouth off the floor. I couldn't even look at Anthony because I knew he was getting upset with him. I then replied, "so you are basically kicking me out of here. Is this because I went to New York & went with their suggestions?" Of course he denied. I asked for his blessing back in October & he assured me that he had no problem with me seeking out a second opinion. I feel I have to be my own advocate & seek out every option available to me, not just for myself, but for the sake of my sweet family. As a nurse, I have heard many times of the patient firing the doctor, but the doctor firing the patient doesn't take place often. I've been compliant & respectful & always asked what he would do if it was his wife. The kicker in the conversation came at the end. He looked me straight in the eyes & said not once, but twice. "It's not going to get any better. You know it's not going to get any better." At that point I was ready to cry. He then made his way over to listen to my heart & lungs, then got up & walked out. Like I said, we were shocked beyond words. I was able to get my infusion of Zometa, which he said would be a good idea. It was strange walking out of the office without an appointment sheet. For the next couple of days, I went back & forth between being upset & angry. A good friend put it like this. Satan is at work here. He is trying my faith through this man. I do not know if he is a believer. I want to think he is, & pray he is one. I just know that this happened for a reason. My Lord is going to take care of me. All we have to do is believe & pray without ceasing. My appointment at Vanderbilt is January 5th. I've been told this female oncologist has a great bedside manner. Please remember us in your prayers. I will have to get scans soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, together we are simply going to show him how wrong he is. To let his ego play any role in your treatment is inexcusable. Don't let his petty, narcissistic hissy fit shake your confidence and determination one little bit. He is the one who should be shaken, quite literally, until his teeth rattle.

weavermom said...

Can I ditto Lisa? I might have phrased it differently, but I agree. :) If he no longer believes there is hope, then he needs to no longer be your doctor. Way to go God, for taking care of that decision for you. Praying that you love the Vandy doctor.

Anonymous said...

Arthanise,
I hate that you had to have a difficult appointment but I too agree that this is God's way of taking you in a different direction and without any hesitation or second guessing. I am sure that if this new doctor is at Vanderbilt that she is wonderful and a good bedside manner can be a powerful medicine itself. I will be praying for your scan results and that your new doctor is the angel you deserve.

Jennifer Connelly

winnie said...

Arthy,
Being in the medical field, we both know his bedside manner is a result of pride and insecurities. Ultimately, God is the healer. It is all in his hands. He uses people to do his work. Hopefully, this man is a believer. If not, that was his way of leading you down a different path. Satan tries to make us lose our faith in so many ways. Keep the faith. Praying for your scans to be good. Praying for healing. Love you......winnie

Anonymous said...

i am shocked too. even if he felt it wasnt going to get any better--what is it going to hurt to try different things? and then when it works everyone can say WOW! a breakthru--this can help even more people?! hope the appt goes well with the new dr. at vandy. keep fighting! you have such a sweet-great family behind you ---and all of your friends--close and far!! i will be thinking of you tomorrow with your new dr. you are amazing and this old dr. will be ashamed when you see him healthy and thru with all these dr's--except your hubby one!! heehee!!

mjb said...

Arthanise
There is something or somebody at Vanderbilt that you must need to get to! God is sovereign!
Michele

Anonymous said...

I want to echo everything that everyone else has already said. I also want to add that for him to be so callous at this stage, he has obviously forgotten why he got into oncology to begin with. You have fought and worked so hard for so long, and told him in the beginning that you would do whatever it took. God is with you Arthy and has shown you a different path to take. I love you and continue to pray for your strength and for the strength of your family!!!
Barb